me and a bug
0
comments
|
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
What do you do during an electrical storm? Do you turn off the computers? — highly advisable. Read? Nap? Go outdoors and let the rain splash all over your face with big, wet droplets?
Do you hang out with wasps?
I hung out with a wasp.
It had wedged itself between the glass pane and the screen - oh, sweet freedom. Didn't want it to die there, so I coaxed it out. Couldn't let it outside as the rain would douse its wee life, I'm quite sure: They were huge drops and falling hard.
Not sure if he was stunned (I have two cats, one of which likes bugs as much as me, but in the killing way) or just confused.
On my finger it climbed. Cool! I sped up the pace to rearrange camera equipment—was in the middle of shooting the rain, nature, stuff (that's when I found the creature). Moved the tripod, turned on more lights, got better flash, set up makeshift white space...and it flew away.
Bap!
Got it back. (gently). But it didn't like the shake up when I curled my fingers around it and gave me a terse sting (first time ever to be wasp-stung). Once that was out of its system and it sensed (?) I was harmless, it stayed with me for over an hour...climbing from finger to finger, swirled around my wrist, swaggered up my arm.

I tried (it's true) to usher it outside through the break in the slidey window, or at least to hang out there until the rain slowed down. But it just kept walking around me. On me.
I snapped many, many photos...*shrug* might as well. When took flight it kept landing itself in the hanging light thingee and getting all close to the bulb. so, i'd turn the light out, get wasp, hang out, take photos...but then i just put it in the flowers i have sitting on the table. took more photos. then left it alone to be with the flora.
(BIG pause)
Boy-cat was MIA, found him in basement. Lightening scared the furry fella. Rescued him. And oh goody, the basement is wet. I like leaking walls and floors, won't this be fun. Hooray. Yay.
race against time.
sliced palm when picking up broken glass from frame that must have toppled in the meleé. add blood to the night.
storm over
bug check: gone. not in the flowers. perhaps it found the proper nook to escape
must have just been around for the storm
joy! discovered more places water came in from storm. there are pots and bowls on my floor. this is fan-TAS-tic!
sooooooooo Wasp was here the whole time. just deft maneuvering around the petals and stems. Rain has calmed down considerably and Wasp is restless. onto the fingers it goes again and i reach waaaaaaaaaay outside to let it fly away. arm outstretched. waiting. nope...it just meanders back up my arm. good grief! onto a flower it goes, out to the patio set, under the umbrella, I stick the waspy-flower in a pot and bid it adieu. someone has an adventure to the rest of the gang about.....


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home