randomization
1
comments
|
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
You know when you want to handwrite 'and', but you'd rather use the ampersand
Jack & Jill or it snuggles itself in within a string of items because you'd rather leave 'and' to precede the very last item: rice, tofu, salt & pepper, soyghurt, chips & salsa, veggies and pita bread
I still have never found an ampersand variation that I'm comfortable with, that I like, that just flows from my pen... My Mom uses a little + sign, I've seen some people pull off a real decent handwritten ampersand (see graphic below: bottom middle) and the other day one of my colleagues wrote one on a flip chart that was rather appealing and I told myself to snapshot it for later - when I am to use the ol' ampersand next. Without consciously thinking about that little typographic anomaly I just wrote one out now on a label. It looked like crap. *sigh* I want a nice one, but I don't want to practise it.

//
Cold: The built-in excuse for being a jerk.
I swear, I wonder what some people use as an excuse when it's nice out?
Appointments being drastically late (and we all know how much I looooooove tardiness) "The roads are bad". Well, duhhhhhhh, you're in Calgary, it's WINTER!
Allow for extra time.
Allow for extra time because the scaredy cats that drive instead of taking a bus are going 10 Kms.
Allow for extra time because it's SLIPPERY and you'll have to gear down sooner (note: I did not say slam on brakes and swerve all over the road).
Allow for extra time because you'll most likely have to warm up car, brush, scrape and all those other winter must-dos.
Allow for extra time because gosh, it sure is nice to maybe be a bit EARLIER once in awhile.
And also, stop for pedestrians! They're colder than you are!! And probably nicer.
//
'Randomization' cuz it's the catch-all phrase for some research studies on whether a patient gets chosen, randomly, for this or that study. I think the word reminds me of Logan's Run for some reason.
//
So, after a few years of grumbling and the last two years trying to convince my family to decrease their spending at Christmas (neither having any luck) I have decided to not play anymore. Wait. Wait. Wait. Adults understand this...SHOULD understand this.
I am not buying presents this year. I am not ACCEPTING presents.
Not this year. Not ever. Not until we can give of ourselves and not give-of-our-wallets-and-guilty-consciences.
My nieces are too young to get the big picture, although I did discuss this with my eldest niece and she said she understands, but she still thinks I'm weird half the time anyway...But I think that's why she likes me.
(OMG! hahahahahahaa I'm the weird aunt. Good thing I have a two-cat maximum or that'd change to CRAZY aunt)
So, after getting the non-reaction from her I decided that I'd do something for the nieces x3. But I won't be pandering to the Christmas of Today. No DVDs, no electronic anything, no trendy clothes that last for a year or two. Nope, I decided that I can still morally play if I do something for them that they will learn or grow from. I have some ideas, but I must think about it some more.
ANYWAY, a colleague of mine recently quit her supervisor job to work for a non-profit organization that has a mission to eradicate poverty, ChristmasFutures. I already support my local ONE campaign, Make Poverty History and I will continue to do so, but this project has that extra little twist in it. Well, several twists actually. It's taking the good part of Christmas: the GIVING part, and molding it around 180 degrees AND planning to eliminate poverty. (And it's not religious!)
The global 'we' collectively spends over one trillion dollars...ONE TRILLION DOLLARS on gifts at Christmas time. They want to "refocus people's generosity toward the global movement of ending extreme poverty". If only people would soak in their message and believe what they're after and belong to something HUGE, it might just work! Here's their blog.
They are running a pilot through school this year, next year...think twice about what you're spending your money on.
Please.


1 Comments:
Hi,
Thank so much for blogging about us.
I just wanted to let you know that ChristmasFuture is up and running; you can give a gift to your friends!
Check it out at
www.christmasfuture.org
09 November, 2007 15:04
Post a Comment
<< Home